A man underwent surgery in Aswan, Egypt, after swallowing a phone which ended up wedged in his stomach, blocking food from passing through him properly for six months
Doctors were shocked to discover a man had swallowed an entire mobile phone after he underwent an X-ray for abdominal pains.
The patient confessed to ingesting the device six months before the scan – but was too embarrassed to seek help at the time.
He hoped the device would naturally leave his body, however it unfortunately became wedged in his stomach.
It blocked food from passing through him properly for half a year and caused life-threatening injuries that needed immediate surgery.
The operation took place at Aswan University Hospital in the city of Aswan, Egypt.
Doctors said they were stunned to discover the mobile phone while treating the man for intestinal and abdominal infections after he turned up complaining of tummy pains.
Get all the latest news sent to your inbox. Sign up for the free Mirror newsletter
Mohamed El-Dahshoury, chairman of the board of directors of Aswan University Hospitals, said it was the first time they had seen such a case in which a patient had swallowed an entire telephone, according to United Arab Emirates media outlet Gulf Today.
There is no update on the man’s health but it is believed he will make a full recovery.
It is currently unclear why he swallowed the mobile phone.
It comes after a 33-year-old man managed to swallow a Nokia 3310 phone.
Doctors in Kosovo, a Balkan state, had to assist him after the phone became lodged in his stomach.
The bizarre item is said to be one of many items which people swallow – despite it including small buttons and batteries.
Reports say the phone was “too large for him to digest” and his life was in danger because its corrosive battery acid could have leaked into his stomach.
Medical team leader Skender Teljaku shared photos on Facebook of the phone after it was removed, as well as X-ray and endoscope images while it was still inside.
He removed the foreign object without cutting into the stomach by taking it out in three pieces with endoscopy.
He was pleased with how the surgery went and said there were “no complications” with the operation.
Local media reported the man took himself to hospital in the capital Pristina as he was suffering pain after swallowing the handset.
There are other reports of people swallowing mobile phones and in a 2014 case study, a 35-year-old drunken male, attempted to swallow their phone and lodged it in their throat before it was surgically removed.
Another case in 2016, a 29-year-old patient swallowed their phone. Despite several hours vomiting the phone remained in their stomach and doctors removed it.
The British Society of Gastroenterology say most foreign bodies people swallow pass spontaneously.
In 10 to 20% of cases, however, endoscopic removal would be required and 1% could require surgical extraction or treatment of a complication.
The organisation said coins, buttons, plastic items, batteries, and bones were common items which were swallowed.