The unnamed man, from China, had an elevated heart rate, low blood pressure, and was breathing rapidly when he arrived at the hospital, with doctors later diagnosing him with ‘shock liver’
Image: NurPhoto via Getty Images)
A 22-year-old man has died after downing one-and-a-half litres of Coca Cola in ten minutes.
The man, from China, drank the fizzy drink to try and cool down on a hot day, but went to the hospital a few hours later after he started to experience severe bloating and stomach pain.
Doctors say that consuming such a large amount of the drink caused gas to build up in his body, which tragically lead to his death.
The unnamed man had an elevated heart rate, low blood pressure, and was breathing rapidly when he arrived at the hospital, which caused the doctors to worry.
After having some CT scans, it was discovered that he had a build up of gas in his intestines, the Daily Mail reports.
The gas then began to travel into his portal vein, located in the liver, which it is believed cause him to have hepatic ischemia, dubbed ‘shock liver’.
This damage to his liver is thought to be the trigger that sadly killed him.
An investigation into his case is documented in the Clinics and Research in Hepatology and Gastroenterology.
According to Qiang He, who authored the case report, doctors were quick to try and save him by releasing the gas from his liver.
Attempts were made to preserve his liver by administering medication that protects it and maintains the body’s remaining functions, but the liver damage was too severe.
His health began to deteriorate and he passed away within 18-hours of being treated.
But, the cause of his death has been disputed by one British doctor.
Professor Nathan Davies, a biochemist at University College London, told the Daily Mail that there is not enough evidence to conclude that the man died because of the fizzy drink,
He suggests that the man could of had a bacterial infection, which may have been the cause rather than the soft drink, and that the drink does not explain why oxygen supply to the liver was cut off.
Professor Davies explains that the portal vein does not carry oxygen as opposed to some other blood vessels.
He states that bacterial infections are known to cause gas build-up that leaks into the portal vein, with similar symptoms to what the man experienced.
He said: “Usually this type of condition is caused because you have bacteria that has made its way from the normal gastrointestinal tract to somewhere they are not supposed to be, in this case, in the lining of the small intestine.
“It’s possible, but not necessary that likely, that drinking a large amount of carbonated drink could have had an exacerbating affect,’ he said.
‘If you have underlying bacteria there, or another sort of condition, they could be potentially producing their own toxins which would be detrimental to the normal function of the organ,’ he said.
Asides from consuming large amounts of sugar and potential damage to the teeth, Professor Davies does not believe that drinking Coca Cola in the same quantity is likely to cause so much damage.
The Daily Mirror has reached out to Coca Cola for comment.