Regina Amorim uses the eye-drops daily to treat her glaucoma but her bungling boyfriend had also stored the toxic glue on the same shelf in the family’s fridge in Cachoeiro de Itapemirim, Brazil
A man glued his girlfriend’s eyelids completely shut after mixing up her eye-drops with powerful superglue.
He dropped the toxic substance directly into Regina Amorim’s right eye when she asked for his help on Tuesday – and had to rush her to hospital.
The 55-year-old stores the drops, which are used to treat painful glaucoma, in the family’s fridge in Brazilian city of Cachoeiro de Itapemirim.
But her boyfriend, who hasn’t been named, decided to place a tube of the toxic glue alongside it due to the baking heat in the country.
He fetched what he thought was her medicine to help with the tricky process before she screamed and he released his horrifying mistake.
They could not tell the difference between the glue and the drops, which have similar names in Portuguese ‘cola’ and ‘colirio’.
Regina is now recovering at home after the ordeal.
The two plastic containers are similar in size, and as neither of them were wearing their glasses at the time, it was reported.
At the time of the incident, Regina tilted her head back and opened her eyes wide as her boyfriend squeezed what he thought was her eye drops directly into her eye.
She said: “The moment the drops hit my eye, I felt an intense burning sensation.”
“I thought my eye was going to explode.”
She was taken to a local hospital, where doctors used a serum and cotton to try to alleviate her pain.
Ophthalmologist Liana Tito told UOL: “When chemical products such as superglue, or even alcohol gel, which happens quite frequently, fall in the eye region, the eyelid can be affected by chemical burns.”
She added that the burns can also affect the cornea and conjunctiva.
Regina was discharged the same day, but she said the pain made it impossible for her to sleep.
She said: “I had tears running down my cheeks all night.
“The glue stuck to the cilium region can form a crust, which rubs against the cornea causing extensive lesions.
“If for some reason these lesions evolve, they cause bacterial ulcers and then become lesions with imminent risks of perforation and blindness.”
She then paid another visit to the ophthalmologist, who reopened her eye and used scissors and tweezers to try to remove the traces of superglue.
The doctor explained: “The glue stuck to the cilium region can form a crust, which rubs against the cornea causing extensive lesions.”
It is not clear if she will suffer any long-term damage to her eye.